* If you haven’t already, ready this basic introduction to Study and Practice
*For Original in Hindi by Shri A Nagraj: श्री नागराजजी द्वारा हिंदी के लिए यहाँ देखें
The objective of study & practice is to have answers to every why, what and how = having resolution or samadhan. ‘Resolution’ is possible via transformation to human consciousness & awakening, that results in happiness, peace, satisfaction & bliss.
The method consists of Practice (अभ्यास) & Study (अध्ययन)that go through the four following stages:
1. Listening (shravan):
- Systematic study & listening to the meaning of the word, usage of analysis, logical-reasoning & understanding. Be convinced about the validity of the proposal, the path & ability to have the understanding oneself.
2. Reflection (manan):
- Ceaseless reflection on the truths – on the meaning in memory, scrutiny & discrimination, becoming involved with the meaning, practice in living.
3. Immediate Knowledge (sakshatkar)
- Direct identification of the realities in existence, confirmation.
4. Realization (anubhav)
- Complete acceptance and understanding of realities and living accordingly thereafter.
These steps are further elaborated below:
Intellectual, Spoken & bodily activities for obtaining the answer to Why? and What?
“Becoming in the form of the truth or tadakaar: Our imagination becoming in the form of, attuned to the meanings indicated by words*, in the form of realities, itself is becoming tadakaar
[* word given in madhyasth darshan] [तदाकार होना – शब्द के अर्थ में स्वरुप में अस्तित्व में वस्तु के साथ तदाकार होना]
Study and Practice go together. Study itself is Practice
We deploy our faculty of imagination (visioning & thoughts) to understand Reality. We use our ability of knowledge-perspective, or knowledge-cognition (gyan drishti, gochar) instead of the sensory-perspective or sensory-cogniton (chakshu drishti, gochar) for our study. This is essential to understand the ‘formless’ dimensions of reality.
We progress through the following four stages in our Study & Practice:
Stage1: Listening (श्रवण) -> (Acceptance & Understanding)
- Literature Study-Practice (शास्त्राभ्यास)
- Glimpse of Reality (भास्): “Acceptance of the meaning of the written and spoken word – the ultimate truth of Coexistence coming in imagination”- Apprehending via external inputs from the books/ spoken / media
- Semblance of Reality (आभास) “With the word & meaning in imagination, usage of logic for consistency of meaning, as a result of which, the entity/reality becomes clear”
- Verification whether the proposal is a) Universal b) Live-able c) Teachable
- Distinguish between acceptable (universal, right) and un-acceptable (criminal, wrong) behavior: Acceptance of living in ‘social law’ – righteous-wealth, fidelity in marital relationship & kindness in behavior (स्वधन, स्वनारी/स्वपुरुष, दयापूर्ण व्यवहार)
- Completion of systematic study & logical understanding
Stage2: Reflection (मनन) -> (Establishment & Concentration)
- Semblance of Reality complete (आभास पूरा ) – becomes apparent
- Contemplative Practice (साक्षात्काराभ्यास) or Discriminating Study (विवेकात्मक अध्ययन)
- Weighing/evaluation on the basis of Justice-Religion-Truth (न्याय धर्म सत्य तुलन)
- Scrutiny & Observation (निरीक्षण परीक्षण) of (a)Existence, (b)Activities in the Self or jeevan & (c) Living.
- Witnessing and evaluating the activities in the Mun, vritti, chitta (मन, वृत्ति, चित्त)
- Distinguish between changing and changeless dimensions of reality & laws of living
- Behavioral Practice (व्यवहाराभ्यास)
- Living according to Intellectual law, Social law, Natural law: Fulfillment of responsibilities and duties
- Establishment of ones imagination (chitta-vritti) in the essence of reality and living (स्थापित होना). Priority established of Justice-Religion-Truth over Preference-Health-Profit (न्याय-धर्म-सत्य का प्राथमिकता)
- Concentrating the mental faculties (chitta-vritti) on the desired region / realities to be known (केंद्रीकृत करना )
Stage3: Immediate Knowledge (साक्षात्कार) -> (Intuitive knowledge)
- Having credibility (प्रतीति). Definitive acceptance (निश्चयात्मक स्वीकृति): Comprehending, understanding the meaning, the Reality.
- Concentration established in the realities to be known – Contemplation, Meditation, ध्यान
- Direct identification/understanding of the realities of Justice-Religion-Truth devoid of logic, form, words
- Knowledge of absolute truth, state-full truth & relative truth as-it-is (स्थिति सत्य, वस्तुगत सत्य, वस्तु स्थिति सत्य).
- Stability in knowing, in conception (nididhyasana , avdharana). Acceptance of ‘human consciousness’- manav chetna.
Stage4: Realization (अनुभव) -> (Realization)
- Complete Acceptance (पूर्ण स्वीकृति)
- Experience of nature of Reality: of Coexistence, of Self & human nature: Complete knowledge of Coexistence, evolution, development, awakening progression, awakening.
- Immersion of the chitta, vritti & sankalpa in but the meaning, the value of the Aim.
- The satisfaction point of knowing and believing. Nothing left to be “known”.
- Irreversible transformation to ‘human consciousness’- manav chetna.
- Living with evidence of Realization, Thought & Behavior (अनुभव, विचार, व्यव्हार प्रमाण,)
*The study of reality according to Madhyasth Darshan does not include any ‘ prevalent meditative-practices’, ‘need to close ones eyes’, or ‘mystical-experiences’. This is being mentioned here in order to avoid confusing this with existing theories, where the words like ‘Shravan, Manan, Nididhyasan’, etc used are similar, but with a totally different intended meaning. See definitions.
# Stages 1, 2 & 3 above are both sequential and cyclical. Study needs guidance from a living human being, that has this understanding.
Original Hindi by Shri A Nagraj:
a) Method of Study Summary from the book Abhyas Darshan (अध्ययन प्रक्रिया सारांश ) [in Hindi] –
b) Selected transcripts of dialogues on method of study (अध्ययन प्रक्रिया पर संवादों से चुने हुए भाग ) [in Hindi]
(c) Selected portions from the Literature related to Method of Study (अभ्यास-अध्ययन प्रक्रिया पर पुस्तकों से चुने हुए सूत्र) [in Hindi]
(d) Definitions of terms related to Study (अभ्यास-अध्ययन प्रक्रिया संबंधी मुख्य परिभाषाएं) [in Hindi]
(e) ‘Adhyayan roopee upasana‘ – selected sections from the book ‘Karmdarshan (अध्ययन रूपी उपासना)’ ][in Hindi]