Our work in the formal education system is being undertaken at the following four levels. This is based on the content, process and outcomes of education based on Madhyasth Darshan, or consciousness development human values (Chetna Vikas Mulya Shiksha -CVMS) .
Alternative Schools – starting a new education
In Existing Schools – humanization of the content & process of education
In Higher Education – supplementing the existing curricula
Allied Human values courses (HVPE) – experiments in professional courses
See here for SUMMARY of the Progress in Education intervention
An Alternative thesis for Education:
The content and process of education yet remain to be identified in a universally fulfilling manner.
Every human child expects justice since birth, desires for right behavior and work and speaks the truth. The child does not know the above realities (Justice, Right behavior-work & Truth). He depends on human tradition in order to understand these. Beliefs by name of Justice, Right behavior-work & Truth are commonly accepted by various human communities. Accepting such beliefs, or the combination thereof, we grow up to be adult citizens.
The proposed human values via consciousness development or Chetna vikas Mulya Shiksha (CVMS) is as under:
Content of Education
1. Self education (jeevan vidya, जीवन विद्या )
- jeevan vidya – understanding myself, my activities, goals and how I am conscious, the causes for my happiness and unhappiness, my aspirations and fears as they are, in reality.
2. Behavioral education: (value education, मूल्य शिक्षा )
- in Family: understanding my relationships with other humans: in family, with parents, brothers, sisters, etc and with friends, teachers & acquaintances. Understanding the intrinsic values in living and how they can be recognized and fulfilled
- Social education: understanding my relationship with other humans, how human race is one and human religion is one. Understanding social-laws & human values and how to live in them.
- Human organizational education: Learning how human society is formed and what our common goals are. Learning to live in family, and the roles, duties and responsibilities, like seva or service in family. Human history.
3. Occupational education: (vastu vidya, वस्तु विद्या)
- Skill based education: Learning useful skills so I can earn my own living when i grow up. Learning to use my hands and feet on the rest of nature effectively – farming, carpentry, repairing things, making a mobile phone, wind generators, etc.
- Material science education: understanding the physical-chemical processes in nature and how they have evolved, their innate nature and characteristics. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography & Mathematics.
- Ecological education: understanding the evolution from matter to plants to animals, their inter-relationships and how they are in harmony and how to interact with and live with them in a harmonious manner. Understanding natural law.
Process of Education
1. Addresses the self directly
- Enables inquisitiveness and exploration by each child, since the innate need for every human is to know – in place of mere memorization and rote learning
- Respect: Respects the freedom of imagination and freedom of action in the child (कल्पनाशीलता, कर्मस्वतंत्रता)
2. Recognizes human relationship
- Based on sound teacher-student relationship – between one who knows and one who wants to know: as against it being a ‘job’ alone.
- Based on values & evaluation, as against fear and enticement. (punishment and rewards)
- Fosters cooperation and mutual fulfillment with other children/ humans – in place of seeing them as opponents to compete against.
- Promotes excellence – everyone can be excellent. As against specialty & competition.
3. Integrated approach based on reality
- Subjects taught in a holistic manner – as the inter-related fabric of the cosmos, to human life on this planet and our roles as individuals, in families, society, nation-state etc – as against fragmented teaching leading to specialization
- Addresses all dimensions of human living: realization, thought, behavior and occupation – as against current goal of education only for occupation, or making a living
- Based on the reality of Coexistence – of Existence being in harmony, that can be known – as against material-centrist chaos/instability based view or mysticism/god centrist views.
Outcomes of Education
The person that successfully completes such education is endowed with the following 5 qualities:
Has assurance, trust in oneself and his capabilities and knowledge
Respects excellence in the other human – recognition of who has worked for, or reached the common human goal
Has balance in his knowledge and personality – can live according to what he/she knows
Is sociable in behavior: pupils living does not cause an imbalance in society: lives within the confines of marital relationship and displays kindness in behavior with other humans, lives with human values.
Is self-sufficient in occupation: has the needed skills to work for his and families material prosperity
Supplementing the current educational content
Students don’t get complete knowledge in any single subject in the current Education system. Study of the following missing aspects need to be inculcated to make this education complete: –
Conscious aspect (jeevan) in Science.
Mental-impressions (sanskar) in Psychology.
Ethical utilization of the material and conscious aspects in Economics.
Culture and Civics of Humaneness in Sociology.
Conservation and Encouragement of Humaneness in Political-Science.
Activity of Matter in Philosophy (Darshan-Shastra).
Human being and Humaneness in History and Geography.
Essential Reality in Literature.
- student article: चेतना विकास मूल्य शिक्षा- एक परिचय